Friday, November 02, 2012

Mitt Romney + Good Faith

Mitt Romney by Gage skidmore
I try to project myself into the minds of presidential candidates; to understand where they're coming from, and why they want to lead us in one direction instead of another.

This is easier in some election cycles than others.

I haven't been able to understand where Governor Romney is coming from and I can't figure out where he wants to lead the United States other than not there (or more recently, there, yes, but with me in charge instead of President Obama). 

Sifting through what I've seen and heard the last two years, I've concluded that, as far as I can tell, Mr. Romney is telling the truth about his faith; about his desire to be a good Mormon with all that entails. 

But Mr. Romney has given me no reason to trust him on jobs and the economy; on foreign policy and the projection of military power; on taxes (his or mine and yours); on health care, on human rights, on transparency, truth-telling and trustworthiness; on saying what he means, or even meaning what he says.

If trusting Mr. Romney to be the best Mormon he can be is the crux of his campaign...that just doesn't do it for me.

No comments: