That's how things work under current Senate rules. The Act itself might be passed with a simple majority of 51 votes. But 60 votes are required to bring the matter up for debate.
What part of we need jobs makes this proposal so distasteful that it can't be discussed?
- Incentivizing employers to hire returning Iraq and Afghanistan Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines?
- Hiring, rehiring and preventing the layoff of tens of thousands of firefighters, law enforcement officers and teachers?
- Training to refit capable but unemployed American workers to take jobs requiring knowledge and skills they lack?
- Modernizing more than 30,000 schools across the U.S.?
- Adding — if Moody's Analytics is in the ballpark — 1.9 million jobs — lowering the unemployment rate by a full point and growing the U.S. economy by two percent? (Could your enterprise use a two percent bump at the closing of the year?)