Wednesday, November 09, 2005

just this about today's elections

A couple of days ago -- long past the time anything could be done about today's elections -- someone I prize wisecracked in a conversation about state and local politics, "I'm not registered to vote, so I don't give a crap."

Without much thought, but I hope not too ungenerously, I cracked back: "Should that be, 'I don't give a crap, so I'm not registered to vote?'"

I get it that people don't believe their vote can make a difference in the kind of world (or neighborhood) where children grow up. But I'm still surprised when parents and would-be parents, youth workers and people who care about the young, don't force their way to the front of that line -- just in case it should turn out they're wrong.

1 comment:

J.P. said...

My belly is yellow and my spine is made of jelly, I'm the apathetic American non-voter.

-from The Simpsons

Comon' people, back in the day some poor 15 year old farm boy took a British bayonet to the gut so we could cast a vote. Shucks man.